Tuesday, April 8, 2014

...whose mom may be a dork, but she'a s dork that they GET.

So we had our first family camp-out for The Boy's cubscout pack this past weekend.  It was just an overnight, just enough to get the boys' toes wet if they hadn't already been camping before.  It was actually really nice, since there are so few of us in this pack, it was a bitty bonding experience.

Now, some background on where this post is going:

This was the first time we've been camping since The Boy was born.  Not that we were avid campers prior to his birth, but if you've followed me for a while, you already know how many scrapes that boy has gotten into, and hopefully don't judge us poorly for refraining from taking him out into nature somewhere with fire and animals, and no door locks.  We'd pulled our gear (what there was of it) out of storage a couple of weeks ago in preparation for it (and painted the inside of our shed WOOHOO!), and started going through it.  A lot of our stuff is for the quieting of my personal headspace with regard to disaster scenarios, so there was some food in there.  and corroded batteries.  and crushed containers.  You get the idea.  So, after the dead stuff was chucked I think we're down to about half of the size the size that we were.  More things to purchase, Yay!  (We did discover that we own 7, maybe 8 air mattresses though - OOPS.)

As some of you know, we recently purchased a new car. The old one was 16 years old, and had started down the path of diminishing returns with regard to repairs.  Plus, The Girl will start driving in about 2 years, and I didn't want a brand spanking new car and a brand spanking new driver on the insurance at the same time.

I love music.  I love to drive to music.  I adore it when the driving and the music sync up, I hit a bump or series of bumps on the beats, or the music accelerates when I do, I've even had a couple of memorable moments of both the music and the car down-shifting and accelerating together - that's just pure awesomeness.  (I really don't care if that's not "a word - it should be.)

We love SciFi.  We still love Syfy (even though they changed from SciFi to Syfy because it polled better with women - idiots).  We watch Defiance.  I loved the marketing campaign that included the show, the game, and the Dodge Charger.


So, now that you're caught up with my head, hopefully  you understand why I had a rather surreal moment while driving out to the Camp (southwest of home), following Matt (who was driving the Van, loaded with the gear) and "Radioactive" started playing.  Here I am, with my family, loaded up with (part of) the survival gear, driving west(erly) and a song rife with apocalyptic associations is playing.   It was SOOPER Weird.  That's one of those moments that will stick in my head for years to come.

And Maddie GOT it.  Totally got it.  Started laughing hysterically about the whole thing (once I explained the bits she didn't know about), in no small part I think, because SHE's like that too.   I love my kid.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment