Friday, June 20, 2014

Whose mom is not normal. Part 3.

When we got home after surgery, I curled up on the couch with an ice pack and blanket and conked out.  Matt set his alarm for whatever time it was that I needed more meds (there was a very strict schedule of steroids, anti nausea (Phenergan), pain (Percocet), and Antibiotics (Keflex) that I was on for the 6 days after Surgery), and went to bed.  Snatches of sleep, ice pack after ice pack, rinse and repeat.

Gievn how much stress she'd been under and how late she stayed up the night before, we'd decided to allow Maddie to stay home that day if she wanted.  Initially she was fine, got up on time, did her treadmill, etc.  I offered it and she refused.  Then she got in the shower.  That was it.  So, she stayed home and vegged with me for most of the morning.  She helped me get myself showered and ready for my post op appointment when Matt ended up on a conference call.

Went up for my post op, everything looked good, they changed the bandages, and took me out of the sling.  Less than 20 hours total were spent in the sling.  Wow.

Over the next week I felt like crap.  I failed to take my vitamins and normal prescriptions several days, I felt jumpy and shaky.  By my 1 week post op with Doc I was done - do you hear me? - DONE with Percocet, because I felt like it was making me shaky and twitchy.  I was allowed to go back to NSAIDs if I wanted, and they sent me home with a prescription for Vicodin.  Went through Physical Therapy, got home, and had a crisis.  SUPER pain, SUPER muscle spasms - I just crumbled.  Took a Muscle relaxer and a vicodin, put heat packs on.

Remembered - when I felt a little better - that I'd seen a thing on WebMD.com the day before that I hadn't had the time (energy?) to do, so I created an account, and started plugging in my medications.  OMG serious interactions everywhere.  Apparently Prozac is amplified by my muscle relaxer, Percocet and Vicodin.  Serotonin Syndrome probable.  Awesome.  Given the level of the couple of symptoms I was exhibiting we simply decided to cease all of the offenders and keep and eye on me.  Most of the symptoms were gone in about 48 hours.  Miraculously, NSAIDs dealt with the pain - to the point that I felt way BETTER than I had since surgery.

Told PT that Tuesday about the interactions and horrified them that the issues hadn't been caught in my files.  Did really well with PT, range of motion for this point in the post op period was "phenomenally" good.  :)  Discussed the fact that I had not one, not two, but all three (NOT normal) of my incisions "spitting" stitches.  The thread for the stuff closing the incisions was supposed to dissolve.  So she tugged on them to see if they would pull out.  No such luck, let's wait for enough of the interior stitching to dissolve that it simply lets the ends go when they catch on something.  Okay, no problem.  That was 11 days post-op.

No comments:

Post a Comment