Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Whose mom is not normal. Part 2.

So, I haven't had the surgery, the nerve block went south, leading to serious breathing trouble, and a droopy right side of my face.  Yay.  And since we're still unsure as to whether or not I can have surgery later (and do I even want to) I can't have anything to eat or drink.  Not even ice chips.  I've no idea what time it is at this point, I kind of don't care, past the issue of Maddie having to watch Nate substantially later and longer than we'd initially planned.

Eventually the issues resolved, the droopiness wore off and then the anesthesiologist came to talk to us again.  She said that I'd, "...been through a trauma today and that no one would question if I decided to forgo surgery today entirely."  But, can I have surgery today?  "Yes, but you've been through a trauma."  Explanation, explanation, explanation.  You know what, I just want to get this done. At which point the Surgeon came back in and sat down on a stool and informed us that he was delighted (I think he may have been bouncing) that I'd decided to go ahead with it, because HE felt it was really the best course of action.

So, the nurses kept us apprised of the timing of the rest of the day, and eventually the anesthesiologist's assistant came back in to talk prep and course of action this time.  Surprise, there would be no nerve block!  Nervous laughter.  And this is Doctor So-and-so, he's an anesthesiologist, he'll be in there with us today.  Wait, what about the other one?  "Oh she's still doing the work, I'm just going to be there observing."  Really.  "Yeah, you're getting about half of the department today..."

Oh.  Ha!

So, the assistant (who incidentally has the same last name as the original anesthesiologist - are they married?) starts to wheel me back, and me being curious, I start asking about the conversations that had gone during the nerve block.  He looked surprised when I asked if they had actually intubated me.  I got the feeling that it was not normal to remember that stuff.  Awesome.  He told me I was getting Valium this time, "...because you've earned it!"  Hmm.

I don't remember much after that.  Apparently they Valium worked way better than the Versed.

Post op was fine, lots of pain from muscle spasms, I had to damn near argue with the nurse about a muscle relaxer, but I got one and that fixed the pain issue.  Doc talked to Matt about the surgery, everything went great apparently, he shaved the bone spurs down and the acromion down a bit, the supraspinatus tear had actually ended up being at least 50% through, but was across 2 cm (not 1).  We didn't get home until about 10:30pm.

2 comments:

  1. "Post op was fine, lots of pain from muscle spasms"

    I'm having a hard time putting those two together...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't throw up, They FINALLY let me have water, I wasn't dead, I was capable of walking, they hadn't had to amputate...it was FINE!

      Delete